Skip to main content

Right, so where were we?

Aaah yes, my not so newly acquired baby bump. 
I say not-so-newly 'cos I am, as of today, 25 weeks pregnant and have the bongo drum playing sensations from within my belly to prove it. And, should I find myself momentarily forgetting that I am with child, said child has been known to make her presence known with a roundhouse kick to the ribs that would make Jackie Chan wince. 

Warning: This blog post contains oestrogen-fueled, progesterone-enhanced content best avoided by members of the male species.

Internal tap dancing and bladder bouncing aside, the second trimester has been a pleasure. Nope, not being sarcastic, weeks 14 to 26 have been pretty darn pleasant. While I ate my weight in easy-to-peel naartjies, drank 100% orange juice like a camel stocking up for the great trek and fantasised about 3pm power naps under my desk throughout trimester one, trimester two has been morningnoonandnight sickness free. It's also been characterised by less hormone-induced hysteria and more bursts of energy, which I have put to good use around the house. According to my sister, I'm nesting. Apparently this behaviour becomes more pronounced in trimester three (where's an 'eek!' emoticon when you need one?) The phrase, "Watch out dusty DVD drawer, mama's coming and she's in an alphabetical order kinda mood" springs to mind.


Another thing that springs to mind is leggings. Not leggings as an item of clothing but rather the hunt I endured in pursuit of these mythical unicorns of stretchiness. 

Rewind a couple of years and leggings were everywhere and they were thick and strong and had cool scaffolding that lifted one's buttocks and poly-filled upper thigh hail damage. Fast forward back to present day and it's all high-waisted, bump-slicing  jeggings and flimsy cotton leggings that go from opaque to sheer with the slightest of bends. 

After waddling around all major Northern suburb malls and an overpriced workout wear store or two, I had no choice but to embrace my inner 'yummy mummy' and replace my early morning ritual (picture a hippo wiggling into a g-string) with easy-to-get-into, life stage appropriate maternity wear.

Long story short, I now own two pairs of leggings (sturdy enough stuff to withstand expansion in the area that my waist used to be) and one pair of low-waisted jeggings that do truly miraculous things for the other area I appear to be 'carrying' in – my thighs.

I'm told that the next thing to be sacrificed at the antenatal altar is my underwired brassier. In response to this I can't help but go all Mel Gibson in Braveheart...
"You may take my waistline but you'll never take my Wonderbra."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Monday morsel...

Sometimes I simply can't resist a little bite-sized blog post. Every now and then one of my fabulous, gorgeous, ever-so-talented friends does something that is blog-worthy. Today two of the many dynamic women I know – an old friend  from highschool and my sister-in-law – posted stuff that is simply too delicious not to share. Picking up a food theme by my choice of words? Well, there's a good reason for that. Wanna know more? Check out  this website  and look at this blog  because every domestic goddess can do with a little help when it comes to keeping the pantry cupboard  dinner party-friendly. Deciding whether to click on the links or not? There's a lot more where these came from if you do...

Heartbreak comes in

all shapes and size s. Sometimes it's in the form of a spotty 13-year old boy not asking you to slowdance at your first school disco, sometimes it's losing that grandparent who made you feel like the most precious thing since Barbie found Ken, and sometimes, heartbreak comes in the form of a nine-month old, 4-kilogram pavement special puppy called Ellie. This time last week I experienced a new brand of heartbreak, the kind I had never experienced before and would rather not (although it's probably inevitable that I will) experience again. Last Monday, Ellie 'Bean' Winderley – my friend, my companion and my Vitamin Water bottle-chewing, cheese-addicted shadow – set off on an adventure that was to be her last in my world. The details are not important... many tears have been shed wondering 'why?' and wishing that life had a rewind button. What is important is that out of even the crappiest situations there are opportunities to learn... I know I sound a little

True story

Context: My 18-year-old cousin has just moved in with hubby and I for a couple of months while she finds her feet in Jozi. Just had this exchange with her via Blackberry Messenger... Me: Hey cuz. You home for dinner tonight? Cuz: Going for coffee with [insert potential bf name here] at six so I'll grab a bite to eat while I'm out. But thanks for checking beauty queen [smiley face] Me: Flattery will get you everywhere. Have fun. Cuz: What's flaterry ? (yip, spelt just like that) Me: Please tell me you're kidding?! Cuz: No I'm serious Me: [once I've picked my jaw off the floor in disbelief] To flatter someone is to compliment, say something nice. Flattery is usually used as a tool by someone to get summing. And that's the end of today's English lesson. Cuz: Thanks [smiley face] ha ha [ another smiley face] no one in the office knew what it meant either  Note to the education system – just an idea, but maybe you should let the kids read actual, made of