Skip to main content

What precisely is my point? I don't know... yet.

I don't really know why I'm writing this. I don't know precisely what this post should be about. Odd, I know, given the fact that I am typing this and it's turning into a post of its own one word at a time. I guess... no, I don't guess, I know that I need to write. And let the chips fall where they may.

As 'Days of our Lives' dramatic as that sounds... I'm not in a particularly neon pink place at the moment... it's been a tough couple of weeks. Think Survivor meets The Apprentice meets Mean Girls. You see, I'm a words person. It's both a strength and a weakness. 

Do I remember every dirty look, childhood 'lie belt' smack or Standard 5 'disco' I wasn't invited to? No. Do I remember every hurtful/judgemental phrase ever said about me or to me? Yes. Every word.

Fun Fact: My grandmother telling 14-year old me that I was 'a well-padded girl' still gets my butt to gym on a Monday morning. 
 
Wanna build me up and make me grin like a fool? Compliment me on, well, me or my work or my house or my 'world famous' toasted sandwiches, whatever, just say something nice. Wanna break me down and make me ugly cry like a Real Housewife of wherever? Accuse me, insult me, attack my character, my work ethic, my relationships with words. Wanna really push me into blubbering-like-a- fool territory? Question my commitment as a wife, mother or friend, and then have me hear those words via the grapevine, over and over again. I mean, in the presence of PVR, nobody loves a repeat.

That's the thing about being a words person. You use words to build others up, to make others smile, to perhaps help to pick them up when they're down or celebrate with them when they're up. It's important to pick out the perfect card or craft a heartfelt handwritten message or comment on someone's social media post. It's important to not just 'share' but to 'write post' that they're a USN Face of Fitness or a Mrs South Africa finalist or an embodiment of the #womensupportingwomen #EndGirlHate movement. And, it's cathartic and healing and necessary to write about the things that both enrich you and drain you, the things that amplify your spirit and the things that crush it.

Do I wish I could just let loose and write, write, write all the gut-wrenching details, like a Sex and the City wannabe on Rodeo Drive with a Kardashian credit card? Um, yeah. But... six paragraphs in... I've determined that that's not the point of this post. 

The point of this post is to remind us all to be kind. To think before we speak. To put ourselves in the other person's shoes (yes, even if they're Crocs) before tap dancing on their spirit with ice-pick-spiked soccer boots.

Because, you see, the thing with words... once written, once said... is that they're out there. And, if you're like me, it's the nasty ones that play on a continuous loop in your head, making your brain cells wince and your heart ache long after the phrase was uttered. So, let's give the nasty words and hurtful phrases a rest. 

Let's admire a Facebook friend's will power and determination and passion rather than skinner'ing about whether or not her six-pack is 'feminine'. Seriously, she is a mother of twins and has the body of a (sensibly self-tanned) Greek goddess... I say #goals #yougogirl #haterssitdownandeatmorechips

Let's stop criticising the serial-selfie-taker/pics-of-kids-poster/look-what-I-ate-today sharer ... Think she looks #beYOUtiful? Tell her. Think her kid is cute? Tell her. Think her fate-free-gluten-free-dairy-non-chocolate-chocolate brownie looks, um, surprisingly, tasty? Ask her for the recipe. 

Let's stop saying and writing things that we can't take back and start saying and writing things that we would never want to take back. There you go, I made my point... finally.


Comments

Unknown said…
Awww I love this..it seems just totally organic..naturally written, no pretence and at the end of it all, deeply profound. #yougogirl #bekind

Popular posts from this blog

The Monday morsel...

Sometimes I simply can't resist a little bite-sized blog post. Every now and then one of my fabulous, gorgeous, ever-so-talented friends does something that is blog-worthy. Today two of the many dynamic women I know – an old friend  from highschool and my sister-in-law – posted stuff that is simply too delicious not to share. Picking up a food theme by my choice of words? Well, there's a good reason for that. Wanna know more? Check out  this website  and look at this blog  because every domestic goddess can do with a little help when it comes to keeping the pantry cupboard  dinner party-friendly. Deciding whether to click on the links or not? There's a lot more where these came from if you do...

Heartbreak comes in

all shapes and size s. Sometimes it's in the form of a spotty 13-year old boy not asking you to slowdance at your first school disco, sometimes it's losing that grandparent who made you feel like the most precious thing since Barbie found Ken, and sometimes, heartbreak comes in the form of a nine-month old, 4-kilogram pavement special puppy called Ellie. This time last week I experienced a new brand of heartbreak, the kind I had never experienced before and would rather not (although it's probably inevitable that I will) experience again. Last Monday, Ellie 'Bean' Winderley – my friend, my companion and my Vitamin Water bottle-chewing, cheese-addicted shadow – set off on an adventure that was to be her last in my world. The details are not important... many tears have been shed wondering 'why?' and wishing that life had a rewind button. What is important is that out of even the crappiest situations there are opportunities to learn... I know I sound a little

True story

Context: My 18-year-old cousin has just moved in with hubby and I for a couple of months while she finds her feet in Jozi. Just had this exchange with her via Blackberry Messenger... Me: Hey cuz. You home for dinner tonight? Cuz: Going for coffee with [insert potential bf name here] at six so I'll grab a bite to eat while I'm out. But thanks for checking beauty queen [smiley face] Me: Flattery will get you everywhere. Have fun. Cuz: What's flaterry ? (yip, spelt just like that) Me: Please tell me you're kidding?! Cuz: No I'm serious Me: [once I've picked my jaw off the floor in disbelief] To flatter someone is to compliment, say something nice. Flattery is usually used as a tool by someone to get summing. And that's the end of today's English lesson. Cuz: Thanks [smiley face] ha ha [ another smiley face] no one in the office knew what it meant either  Note to the education system – just an idea, but maybe you should let the kids read actual, made of