Skip to main content

Conquering the man-shop

Today I trotted into Pick n Pay, trolley in hand, with a different objective than usual. Today, I had to approach the aisles like a man. I had to banish all thoughts of economy, all subconscious low-fat/low-GI leanings, and walk straight past anything that required effort to take it from packaging to plate. I was shopping for week's worth of dinners for hubby and I had to think like him, not like me.

I am the cook in the house. I work from home so have time (or so hubby thinks) to talk something out of the freezer in the morning and pop a roast in the oven to slow cook for a few hours. I also have the metabolism of a slug so approach carbs with caution and begrudgingly opt for a steamed chicken breast over a fatty (a.k.a delicious) lamb shank. When I do the monthly shop I compare prices, I buy lean mince and brown rice and wholewheat pasta. I buy the ingredients for sauces not the 'just add water' stuff. I buy whole vegetables that require chopping and meat that still resembles the animal it came from ie no polony!

All of this is hubby-friendly as long as I'm the one who actually chops, mixes, defrost and steams. If I was to leave him to do dinner – as I have to for the whole month of June – and the same stuff was in the fridge as usual there's no sugar coating it... hubby would live on a blend of Steers and Debonairs for the month. 

So, because I love him and want to keep him around long enough for us to enjoy the retirement he's currently working so hard for, I had to do a man-shop today. Everything in the trolley was selected with convenience in mind:
  • Whole lettuces gave way to packets of lettuce – open packet, pour onto plate
  • Bags of potatoes gave way to oven chips – 20 minutes from frozen in oven at 180º
  • Baked chicken breasts became crumbed chicken burgers – again, 20 minutes from frozen in oven at 180º
  • Homemade cottage pies and curries got the axe in favour of hotdogs and hamburgers – take out of fridge, heat in microwave and pop on a roll
  • Fat-free yoghurt with a drizzle of honey was replaced with Kit Kats and Tex bars and Ultra Mel's new chocolate puddings – maybe I was feeling a little guilty about abandoning him at dinner time
  • I bought him his favourite Brown Spirit Vinegar instead of Balsamic and threw a couple of creamy Ranch dressings in for good measure – the man would eat everything with Ranch if given the choice
  • I was also mindful not to forget the very important back-up Oros... the only thing worse in our house than an ice crisis is an Oros crisis. The man does love his MSG-laden juice!
The end result is that my fridge looks like that of a varsity student's minus the booze but today's stint as the Good Wife was a success. Let's just hope hubby doesn't get used to the fridge like this.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Monday morsel...

Sometimes I simply can't resist a little bite-sized blog post. Every now and then one of my fabulous, gorgeous, ever-so-talented friends does something that is blog-worthy. Today two of the many dynamic women I know – an old friend  from highschool and my sister-in-law – posted stuff that is simply too delicious not to share. Picking up a food theme by my choice of words? Well, there's a good reason for that. Wanna know more? Check out  this website  and look at this blog  because every domestic goddess can do with a little help when it comes to keeping the pantry cupboard  dinner party-friendly. Deciding whether to click on the links or not? There's a lot more where these came from if you do...

Heartbreak comes in

all shapes and size s. Sometimes it's in the form of a spotty 13-year old boy not asking you to slowdance at your first school disco, sometimes it's losing that grandparent who made you feel like the most precious thing since Barbie found Ken, and sometimes, heartbreak comes in the form of a nine-month old, 4-kilogram pavement special puppy called Ellie. This time last week I experienced a new brand of heartbreak, the kind I had never experienced before and would rather not (although it's probably inevitable that I will) experience again. Last Monday, Ellie 'Bean' Winderley – my friend, my companion and my Vitamin Water bottle-chewing, cheese-addicted shadow – set off on an adventure that was to be her last in my world. The details are not important... many tears have been shed wondering 'why?' and wishing that life had a rewind button. What is important is that out of even the crappiest situations there are opportunities to learn... I know I sound a little

True story

Context: My 18-year-old cousin has just moved in with hubby and I for a couple of months while she finds her feet in Jozi. Just had this exchange with her via Blackberry Messenger... Me: Hey cuz. You home for dinner tonight? Cuz: Going for coffee with [insert potential bf name here] at six so I'll grab a bite to eat while I'm out. But thanks for checking beauty queen [smiley face] Me: Flattery will get you everywhere. Have fun. Cuz: What's flaterry ? (yip, spelt just like that) Me: Please tell me you're kidding?! Cuz: No I'm serious Me: [once I've picked my jaw off the floor in disbelief] To flatter someone is to compliment, say something nice. Flattery is usually used as a tool by someone to get summing. And that's the end of today's English lesson. Cuz: Thanks [smiley face] ha ha [ another smiley face] no one in the office knew what it meant either  Note to the education system – just an idea, but maybe you should let the kids read actual, made of