Skip to main content

What I wouldn't do for a...



steaming hot, delightfully frothy Woolies Red latte with two white sugars right now *oh-woe-is-me sigh*. You see, somewhere between my last blog post (and yes, I know I've been shirking my duties as of late) and today I have managed to get myself on a meat-free, dairy-free, wheat-free, (practically) carb-free and (gasp!) wine-free eating plan. I know, can you spell 'i-n-s-a-n-i-t-y'?!?
grape-free expectations
The wine was always on the cards. It had to go. I had to give up something I would really miss for lent... and anyone who knows me, knows that I love (yes, I use that term thoughtfully) LOVE a chilled glass of Sauvignon Blanc every now and then. When my mom asked what I was giving up for lent and I answered 'wine', she responded by bursting out into laughter (true story). This reaction was partly because I'm not sure she knew I was being serious and partly because lent (the 40-day run up to Easter) falls over my birthday – a day that I like to use as an excuse to drink a bottle of the good stuff (a.k.a the stuff with a price tag that makes hubby a little nauseous). In all seriousness, giving up the vino is a small, really insignificant price to pay for my real birthday present which I am thankful for every year – my salvation. And it wouldn't be such a cause of trauma for me, except that somewhere along the way I decided to give up meat, too...

meat-free, cow-free and no, I didn't expect it to last either
Let me start by saying that soya is not my friend and anyone who tells you that soy milk tastes almost like the real thing, or that vegetarian sausages are as good as a piece of boerewors sizzled to perfection on a braai, should be hooked up to lie detector and brought to justice pronto! How did I get to this point? Well, my mom went on a course based on The China Study and convinced me to join her on a ten-day meat-free, cow-free, caffeine-free challenge. I do like a challenge and happily signed on, unhappily completed it and then begrudgingly admitted that I felt so good as a result that I decided to extend the challenge. A month into this little experiment, I have come to the conclusion that meat alternatives are not really alternatives, they're just stand-ins for the gap on your plate that used to be occupied by something golden, crispy or medium rare. All that being said, with every passing day I miss meat less and less... and that, dear readers, is as shocking for me to write as it is for my lambchop-loving hubby to read. However, not quite so shocking as going... all the good stuff on any menu anywhere-free 
So long pasta, farewell pizza, au revoir croissants and totsiens koeksisters, this sister is giving up anything with more than 5-grams of carbs (basically everything baked) for 8 weeks in pursuit of the results that a couple of friends (Mia & Motsumi's 'new and improved' parents) have achieved. I'm talking healthy, toned sustained flab loss... the kind of results that my well-disguised abs have dreamt of but never thought possible. It's a three-step eating plan and the practically carb-free first phase is gonna be tough, but oh, how sweet will that penne arrabiata (Jamie Oliver's version of the classic) taste in phase three when carbs cross the enemy line and we are once again re-united just in time for winter! In the meantime I'll have to settle for a fridge full of butter (yes, proper butter), piles of avocados, stacks of hummus, and enough green vegetables to send Bugs Bunny  into a jealous rage. Don't feel too sorry for me... yesterday I read every food label, did the necessary maths and piled my trolley high with antipasto, cream cheese, olive tapenade, mixed nuts and infused olive oils – all 100% allowed on this new eating plan. 
the back-up plan
Just in case I fall off the carb-free wagon before my 8 weeks is up, Motsumi's mom shared her secret weapon with me – a Ferrero Ronde Noir – basically, when I get the urge to eat my way through Rosebank's Fournos Bakery one crumb-covered mouthful at a time, I can reach for one of these... guilt-free. Apparently, one Ronde Noir meets the 'per meal' 5-gram (carbs minus fibre = allowance). So, if everything else above this paragraph seems a little, um, nuts... then at least the next time you find yourself strolling down the chocolate aisle you'll know which decadent treat is isn't actually that decadent after all. 
Got a comment? Ever given up any of the above and lived to tell the tale? I'd love to here your stories of 'plate politics'...

Comments

Unknown said…
oh no... what's that I hear? Another clever girl swallowed up by a well disguised fad diet. The reason the clever girl falls for it every time? Its the bad boy - the hot new office colleague who promises the world... the boobalicous bra that means ooh la la cleavage... the pyramid scheme that says easy cash...

serve yourself a decent balanced portion for goodness sake! Remember- energy in = energy out; too much of anything is bad (research the nasty side of soya and look up water torture while you're at it); low calories and high fat = heart attack.

I love you and momma but this reeks of Herbalife times.

Mwa
Mrs Winderley said…
Oh sister, I do love you... but fear not, this is not a 'Herbalife' moment. Believe it or not your sister has developed a bit of common sense over the years and isn't falling for some fad diet. I have just seen what this eating plan has done for two friends and the results speak for themselves.

I'm not going to be eating spoonfuls of saturated fats, just moderate amounts of the unsaturated stuff AND I will be eating carbs, just in label-conscious amounts.

I will email the plan to you and you can give me your Dr. Rox feedback. Kay?

xxx

Popular posts from this blog

The Monday morsel...

Sometimes I simply can't resist a little bite-sized blog post. Every now and then one of my fabulous, gorgeous, ever-so-talented friends does something that is blog-worthy. Today two of the many dynamic women I know – an old friend  from highschool and my sister-in-law – posted stuff that is simply too delicious not to share. Picking up a food theme by my choice of words? Well, there's a good reason for that. Wanna know more? Check out  this website  and look at this blog  because every domestic goddess can do with a little help when it comes to keeping the pantry cupboard  dinner party-friendly. Deciding whether to click on the links or not? There's a lot more where these came from if you do...

Heartbreak comes in

all shapes and size s. Sometimes it's in the form of a spotty 13-year old boy not asking you to slowdance at your first school disco, sometimes it's losing that grandparent who made you feel like the most precious thing since Barbie found Ken, and sometimes, heartbreak comes in the form of a nine-month old, 4-kilogram pavement special puppy called Ellie. This time last week I experienced a new brand of heartbreak, the kind I had never experienced before and would rather not (although it's probably inevitable that I will) experience again. Last Monday, Ellie 'Bean' Winderley – my friend, my companion and my Vitamin Water bottle-chewing, cheese-addicted shadow – set off on an adventure that was to be her last in my world. The details are not important... many tears have been shed wondering 'why?' and wishing that life had a rewind button. What is important is that out of even the crappiest situations there are opportunities to learn... I know I sound a little

True story

Context: My 18-year-old cousin has just moved in with hubby and I for a couple of months while she finds her feet in Jozi. Just had this exchange with her via Blackberry Messenger... Me: Hey cuz. You home for dinner tonight? Cuz: Going for coffee with [insert potential bf name here] at six so I'll grab a bite to eat while I'm out. But thanks for checking beauty queen [smiley face] Me: Flattery will get you everywhere. Have fun. Cuz: What's flaterry ? (yip, spelt just like that) Me: Please tell me you're kidding?! Cuz: No I'm serious Me: [once I've picked my jaw off the floor in disbelief] To flatter someone is to compliment, say something nice. Flattery is usually used as a tool by someone to get summing. And that's the end of today's English lesson. Cuz: Thanks [smiley face] ha ha [ another smiley face] no one in the office knew what it meant either  Note to the education system – just an idea, but maybe you should let the kids read actual, made of