Skip to main content

Cruisin' into 2010 – Part Three: Happy



It's pretty darn near impossible not to start a new year as the definition of happiness when the new year begins with a glitter bomb and sparkly stuff (literally) raining down from sapphire blue, star-speckled Mauritian skies while you hug and kiss your loved ones on the top deck of a massive cruise ship. I'm usually not one to post pics on this blog but sometimes a picture says more than words ever could so here's one that hubby took of me just as the clock struck 12 and everyone shouted 'Happy New Year!'...

The expression on my face is apparently one I pull often and as unflattering as it may be, 'The Monkey' (as my sister affectionately refers to it as) only makes an appearance at time of major, record-breaking happiness. You see, I'd hardly risk all that face wrinkling and possible need for a Botox-infused future, unless the moment really deserved such utter silly-ness. 

The fact that my hubby managed to capture this moment on film is, while a little embarrassing, pretty darn cool. Out of the gazillions of fabulously glamorous photos we snapped throughout the 11-day cruise – photos of relaxing, eating, exploring, swimming, partying and chillin' with a cocktail by the pool – this image will always remind me of all of the above. When I look at it I remember just how I felt at that moment... like the luckiest girl on the planet! As I danced, covered head to toe in sparkly stuff, in the refreshing drizzle of rain with the love of my life and a sea of smiling faces I was H.A.P.P.Y! 

I have to admit that the first few hours of 2010 set the bar pretty high for the rest of the year... but I’m up for the challenge. I dare you all to make decisions that lead to real moments of happiness, jump out of your comfort zone with enthusiasm, find reasons to smile in the most mundane situations and (this is an old chestnut) dance like nobody’s watchin’ – but just in case somebody is, a little pink lipgloss goes a long way!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Monday morsel...

Sometimes I simply can't resist a little bite-sized blog post. Every now and then one of my fabulous, gorgeous, ever-so-talented friends does something that is blog-worthy. Today two of the many dynamic women I know – an old friend  from highschool and my sister-in-law – posted stuff that is simply too delicious not to share. Picking up a food theme by my choice of words? Well, there's a good reason for that. Wanna know more? Check out  this website  and look at this blog  because every domestic goddess can do with a little help when it comes to keeping the pantry cupboard  dinner party-friendly. Deciding whether to click on the links or not? There's a lot more where these came from if you do...

Heartbreak comes in

all shapes and size s. Sometimes it's in the form of a spotty 13-year old boy not asking you to slowdance at your first school disco, sometimes it's losing that grandparent who made you feel like the most precious thing since Barbie found Ken, and sometimes, heartbreak comes in the form of a nine-month old, 4-kilogram pavement special puppy called Ellie. This time last week I experienced a new brand of heartbreak, the kind I had never experienced before and would rather not (although it's probably inevitable that I will) experience again. Last Monday, Ellie 'Bean' Winderley – my friend, my companion and my Vitamin Water bottle-chewing, cheese-addicted shadow – set off on an adventure that was to be her last in my world. The details are not important... many tears have been shed wondering 'why?' and wishing that life had a rewind button. What is important is that out of even the crappiest situations there are opportunities to learn... I know I sound a little

True story

Context: My 18-year-old cousin has just moved in with hubby and I for a couple of months while she finds her feet in Jozi. Just had this exchange with her via Blackberry Messenger... Me: Hey cuz. You home for dinner tonight? Cuz: Going for coffee with [insert potential bf name here] at six so I'll grab a bite to eat while I'm out. But thanks for checking beauty queen [smiley face] Me: Flattery will get you everywhere. Have fun. Cuz: What's flaterry ? (yip, spelt just like that) Me: Please tell me you're kidding?! Cuz: No I'm serious Me: [once I've picked my jaw off the floor in disbelief] To flatter someone is to compliment, say something nice. Flattery is usually used as a tool by someone to get summing. And that's the end of today's English lesson. Cuz: Thanks [smiley face] ha ha [ another smiley face] no one in the office knew what it meant either  Note to the education system – just an idea, but maybe you should let the kids read actual, made of