Skip to main content

Anyone know a good Thai dessert...

I am looking for the perfect ending to a thai-themed meal (that I'm planning to lovingly prepare in my prettiest pink apron on Friday night)? Suggestions would be much appreciated as at present it looks like I'll be serving my guests something *shock, horror* that comes in a plastic tub and was bought at a store because I just can't think of  a traditional Thai dessert. 

(I even tried engaging @jamie_oliver via Twitter for an answer, seeing as I'm using his recipes for the first two course... but alas! no reply)
I keep thinking that I can't think of one because there isn't one to think of... the Thai people don't look like they indulge in full fat carbs overloaded with processed sugar. I'm pretty sure chocolate brownies with whipped cream and dark chocolate shavings don't share kitchen counter space with fresh limes, ginger, coriander and jasmine-infused rice. See my point?
Anyway, you may be wondering why I am so concerned about solving my dessert dilemma, especially knowing that I'm usually the girl who takes twenty minutes to make dinner – from freezer to serving – and defines cooking as opening the tin or turning the oven on. Well, a handful of times a year I actually cook, yip, you read that correctly, cook... for a few friends who are brave enough to come to The Winderley's humble abode for a dinner party. 
I'm a sucker for a theme and I really do enjoy following a recipe, shopping for odd ingredients and figuring out just how I should set the table. The danger is that I have a tendency to get all tied up in the pretty stuff and the carrying out the theme things that I sometimes forget about the food [Okay, you can stop laughing now...]
The good news is that a few past 'let's get takeaways' experiences have taught me to figure out the food first and the fabulousity later. I now make sure that I know what I'm cooking and how I'm cooking it before I have a twenty minute deliberation between the plain white or the damask tablecloth. I've also learnt to do the grocery shopping the day before in case you need to go to every food supplier in town to find lemongrass stalks or coconut cream.
The bad news is that I like my dinner parties to consist of three courses. I like the beginning, middle and end structure... I want the simple elegance of a starter, a main course and a dessert. And, if I choose a theme, I'd really like for all three parts to come from the same country. No point in taking your tastebuds to Paris and then chucking them across the pond into Texas. However, this is easier said than done – especially when the theme decided on is Thai... 
I have a starter, I have a main (both of which I plan to make from scratch – unprocessed root ginger, real lemongrass et al) but I don't have the most important course, the I'm sooooo full but I can't not have a little taste course, the I'm soooo gonna have to go for a run tomorrow course, the whole reason for eating proper dinner is to get there course. So please, if you have any suggestions this desperate housewife would be ever so grateful if you would share your culinary wisdom (Oh, and it can't be something that requires baking... 'cos I was so not blessed with the baking gene at birth).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Monday morsel...

Sometimes I simply can't resist a little bite-sized blog post. Every now and then one of my fabulous, gorgeous, ever-so-talented friends does something that is blog-worthy. Today two of the many dynamic women I know – an old friend  from highschool and my sister-in-law – posted stuff that is simply too delicious not to share. Picking up a food theme by my choice of words? Well, there's a good reason for that. Wanna know more? Check out  this website  and look at this blog  because every domestic goddess can do with a little help when it comes to keeping the pantry cupboard  dinner party-friendly. Deciding whether to click on the links or not? There's a lot more where these came from if you do...

Heartbreak comes in

all shapes and size s. Sometimes it's in the form of a spotty 13-year old boy not asking you to slowdance at your first school disco, sometimes it's losing that grandparent who made you feel like the most precious thing since Barbie found Ken, and sometimes, heartbreak comes in the form of a nine-month old, 4-kilogram pavement special puppy called Ellie. This time last week I experienced a new brand of heartbreak, the kind I had never experienced before and would rather not (although it's probably inevitable that I will) experience again. Last Monday, Ellie 'Bean' Winderley – my friend, my companion and my Vitamin Water bottle-chewing, cheese-addicted shadow – set off on an adventure that was to be her last in my world. The details are not important... many tears have been shed wondering 'why?' and wishing that life had a rewind button. What is important is that out of even the crappiest situations there are opportunities to learn... I know I sound a little

True story

Context: My 18-year-old cousin has just moved in with hubby and I for a couple of months while she finds her feet in Jozi. Just had this exchange with her via Blackberry Messenger... Me: Hey cuz. You home for dinner tonight? Cuz: Going for coffee with [insert potential bf name here] at six so I'll grab a bite to eat while I'm out. But thanks for checking beauty queen [smiley face] Me: Flattery will get you everywhere. Have fun. Cuz: What's flaterry ? (yip, spelt just like that) Me: Please tell me you're kidding?! Cuz: No I'm serious Me: [once I've picked my jaw off the floor in disbelief] To flatter someone is to compliment, say something nice. Flattery is usually used as a tool by someone to get summing. And that's the end of today's English lesson. Cuz: Thanks [smiley face] ha ha [ another smiley face] no one in the office knew what it meant either  Note to the education system – just an idea, but maybe you should let the kids read actual, made of