Skip to main content

Debut of the social-write...


Good grief! It's been two weeks since I last sat down to put pen to paper, or rather manicured fingertips to keyboard. Time flies when the work outweighs the play... yes, you read that correctly – this (sometimes but not enough to effect the waistline) starving artist has been working more than she's been brunching & lunching. Why? Well, it would appear that I've landed with my very white bum in the butter and this freelance copywriting thing is shaping up to be what I've always wanted: A way to be creative and earn some dough, a way to live the way I want to and actually make a living
Over the past 14 days I've strolled from one freelance gig to another and been handed bigger and better opportunities on the back of small projects that I nervously accepted and hammered away at my Macbook 'til all hours of the morning to reach an end result that I was happy to submit (wow that was a long sentence. I can hear Mrs. Williams – my grade 12 English teacher – shaking her head in disapproval).
For two years I've been trying to get into the creative side of copywriting. Trying to find an agency willing to take a chance on the girl with the Fine Art degree who sometimes needs to spell her name rather than say it when the st-st-stuttering is making an irritating appearance. Don't get me wrong, I've been given opportunities to learn the ropes by great people (one person in particular, she knows who she is) who saw passion as a good enough substitute for experience, but it's been in trucks and cell phones and insurance, it's been newsletters and employee profiles... it's been beige and I'm ready for hot pink.
It's kinda like when I was thirteen and my mom let me buy my first pair of high heels, only 'high' was a bit inaccurate, it was a pair of kitten heels so it was a heel in structure not stature. The first time I went out in my heels I felt 6-feet tall and had to think about every step so I didn't take a tumble into the chip n dip table at a school disco. My first job as a writer was kinda like those kitten heels, equally thrilling and daunting at first but I soon learnt to walk without thinking about every step and in a few months I could run up an escalator while on my phone and putting sugar in my takeaway latte. You see, much like my journey in heels – I was wearing six-inch snakeskin platforms by 15 – I needed to take the next step with writing.
And so, when a couple of months ago an old friend from school phoned me in desperate need of copy refinement for an ad campaign I jumped at the chance. I wasn't 100% sure I could do it (much like the first time I put on a real stiletto heel) but I was going to give it my best shot, say a prayer and trust that the Lord opens doors for a reason and likes to shove you through it before you can make up excuses. 
That event was a turning point. I received rave reviews and the seed was planted – "I could do this. I could let my art become a hobby again and my writing pay the bills." I could take what I'd learnt by writing in beige and turn it into something hot pink. I could turn trucks in fast cars, pharmaceuticals into cosmetics, insurance into retail therapy and maybe one day, maybe maybe maybe,  Mr Price pumps into Manolo Blahnik ballet flats – cos while I'll always love my heels, it's just not a good look when you combine puppies and parks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Monday morsel...

Sometimes I simply can't resist a little bite-sized blog post. Every now and then one of my fabulous, gorgeous, ever-so-talented friends does something that is blog-worthy. Today two of the many dynamic women I know – an old friend  from highschool and my sister-in-law – posted stuff that is simply too delicious not to share. Picking up a food theme by my choice of words? Well, there's a good reason for that. Wanna know more? Check out  this website  and look at this blog  because every domestic goddess can do with a little help when it comes to keeping the pantry cupboard  dinner party-friendly. Deciding whether to click on the links or not? There's a lot more where these came from if you do...

Heartbreak comes in

all shapes and size s. Sometimes it's in the form of a spotty 13-year old boy not asking you to slowdance at your first school disco, sometimes it's losing that grandparent who made you feel like the most precious thing since Barbie found Ken, and sometimes, heartbreak comes in the form of a nine-month old, 4-kilogram pavement special puppy called Ellie. This time last week I experienced a new brand of heartbreak, the kind I had never experienced before and would rather not (although it's probably inevitable that I will) experience again. Last Monday, Ellie 'Bean' Winderley – my friend, my companion and my Vitamin Water bottle-chewing, cheese-addicted shadow – set off on an adventure that was to be her last in my world. The details are not important... many tears have been shed wondering 'why?' and wishing that life had a rewind button. What is important is that out of even the crappiest situations there are opportunities to learn... I know I sound a little

True story

Context: My 18-year-old cousin has just moved in with hubby and I for a couple of months while she finds her feet in Jozi. Just had this exchange with her via Blackberry Messenger... Me: Hey cuz. You home for dinner tonight? Cuz: Going for coffee with [insert potential bf name here] at six so I'll grab a bite to eat while I'm out. But thanks for checking beauty queen [smiley face] Me: Flattery will get you everywhere. Have fun. Cuz: What's flaterry ? (yip, spelt just like that) Me: Please tell me you're kidding?! Cuz: No I'm serious Me: [once I've picked my jaw off the floor in disbelief] To flatter someone is to compliment, say something nice. Flattery is usually used as a tool by someone to get summing. And that's the end of today's English lesson. Cuz: Thanks [smiley face] ha ha [ another smiley face] no one in the office knew what it meant either  Note to the education system – just an idea, but maybe you should let the kids read actual, made of