Skip to main content

So this is what flat broke looks like...

not such a fan of the view. And even less impressed (but not surprised) by my particular brand of Sandtonite irresponsibility. You see, I have less cash to my name at the mo' than Malema has tact and yet I am still keeping my hair appointment this afternoon. Yip, I booked it weeks ago and just can't bring myself to cancel it. 
I figure if I'm going to have to deal with last year's Winter wardrobe and creative homecookin' from the things that have lurked in the back of my pantry cupboard since 2005 then having to deal with three months re-growth and frizzy grey hairs just may send me over the edge. My justification? I shouldn't have to cancel it because I should have been paid weeks ago... 
Confused? Let me explain. I have worked harder this past 6 weeks than I have in the past 6 months but the curse of the freelancer is the agency clanger – payment in 30 days from invoice. I knew that going in, and I was prepared for it, hubby and I knew that the first month of freelancing would mean more McCains oven chips and less fillet steak... problem is, it's been over a month and the cracks aren't showing (that happened last week) they're turning into mini Grand Canyons. 
I have several invoices sitting on the desks of several agency finance-type people just begging to be paid... so I wait... and I wait... and I check my bank account online every morning crossing my fingers, toes and even Ellie's paws in the hope that the numbers would have gone up and not further down. I may be having sense of humour failure but the dry Woody Allen-type humour in the situation isn't lost on me – it's a classic example of 'hurry up and wait'.I give myself the beginnings of an ulcer to meet deadlines and then sit and wait for weeks to get paid for work done. Kinda contradictory don't ya' think? *sigh*
The bottom line? I may not be able to afford to put petrol in my car tomorrow but my hair will look fabulous. Talk about letting the genetic stubborn streak take centre stage.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Monday morsel...

Sometimes I simply can't resist a little bite-sized blog post. Every now and then one of my fabulous, gorgeous, ever-so-talented friends does something that is blog-worthy. Today two of the many dynamic women I know – an old friend  from highschool and my sister-in-law – posted stuff that is simply too delicious not to share. Picking up a food theme by my choice of words? Well, there's a good reason for that. Wanna know more? Check out  this website  and look at this blog  because every domestic goddess can do with a little help when it comes to keeping the pantry cupboard  dinner party-friendly. Deciding whether to click on the links or not? There's a lot more where these came from if you do...

Heartbreak comes in

all shapes and size s. Sometimes it's in the form of a spotty 13-year old boy not asking you to slowdance at your first school disco, sometimes it's losing that grandparent who made you feel like the most precious thing since Barbie found Ken, and sometimes, heartbreak comes in the form of a nine-month old, 4-kilogram pavement special puppy called Ellie. This time last week I experienced a new brand of heartbreak, the kind I had never experienced before and would rather not (although it's probably inevitable that I will) experience again. Last Monday, Ellie 'Bean' Winderley – my friend, my companion and my Vitamin Water bottle-chewing, cheese-addicted shadow – set off on an adventure that was to be her last in my world. The details are not important... many tears have been shed wondering 'why?' and wishing that life had a rewind button. What is important is that out of even the crappiest situations there are opportunities to learn... I know I sound a little

True story

Context: My 18-year-old cousin has just moved in with hubby and I for a couple of months while she finds her feet in Jozi. Just had this exchange with her via Blackberry Messenger... Me: Hey cuz. You home for dinner tonight? Cuz: Going for coffee with [insert potential bf name here] at six so I'll grab a bite to eat while I'm out. But thanks for checking beauty queen [smiley face] Me: Flattery will get you everywhere. Have fun. Cuz: What's flaterry ? (yip, spelt just like that) Me: Please tell me you're kidding?! Cuz: No I'm serious Me: [once I've picked my jaw off the floor in disbelief] To flatter someone is to compliment, say something nice. Flattery is usually used as a tool by someone to get summing. And that's the end of today's English lesson. Cuz: Thanks [smiley face] ha ha [ another smiley face] no one in the office knew what it meant either  Note to the education system – just an idea, but maybe you should let the kids read actual, made of