Skip to main content

My husband the diplomat...


Hubby: "I''m soooo tired."
Me: "Yip, I'm pretty tired too..."
Hubby: *dead serious expression* "It's not the same, I'm MAN-tired. It's far worse."
True story. That's a direct quote – 'straight from the horse's mouth' as my grandmother would say. My husband blurts out these little gems at least once a day and even though we've been man and wife for almost two years it never ceases to amaze me that there's never even the teeniest hint of irony in the sentences he states matter-of-factly. I've started to call it what it is: Man-quote of the day
Yesterday, I took my almost-rid-of-the-nasty-flu body off of the couch and far away from E!News. I decided that my once beautiful little patio garden (refer to this post ) needed to be restored to its former glory. You see, Winter has not been kind to my potted painting... gone are the pretty violets and baby blue hues that spilled over the rusted metal of my much loved antique pennyfarthing. Instead, my patio garden looks like a third storey graveyard where (usually indestructable) plants come to commit suicide. 
I blame the frost and the cold and the months of limited doses of sunshine... but I must admit that while the season did play its part, my blatant neglect and very rare excursions out onto the balcony with a watering can is to blame. The fact that my rosemary bush and geraniums survived is, quite literally, a miracle because I didn't set eyes on them for most of June, okay... or July *hangs head in shame*
Anyways, the point of this story (I promise that there is one) is that yesterday while grocery shopping and buying overpriced house-fragrance things, I came across a display rack full of packets of seeds. I picked up the packets with the pretty pictures, read the instructions on the back and put back the ones that appeared needy (ie semi-shade or semi-sun etc) or read 'keep soil moist at all times' – if there's one thing I've learnt about gardening, it's that I'm not that dedicated a gardener. The end result was four packets of carefully selected seeds. Little bags of promise. Little bags of 'how hard can growing flowers really be?'
So, I put on my cute striped (only been used once in six months) designer gardening gloves, scooped up my hair into a very 1990's butterfly clip and got to work yanking out the dead stuff and carefully sewing my precious seeds. An hour later I had a bunch of pots full of very moist, expertly churned up soil. I caught a glimpse of Mr. Rosemary and Madame Geranium glaring at me suspiciously. If plants could talk I'm telling you they'd be taking bets on which new seed would die from heat stroke and/or over watering first. 
Fast forward a couple of hours and hubby arrived home. I was excited to tell him about my revival project and quickly showed him empty seed packets and dragged him upstairs to see my manicured sandpit.
Me: "Look, love, I've been gardening."
Hubby: "Um, I can see that... why didn't you plant actual plants?" [translation: man-speak for seedlings]
Me: "Well, I wanted to start from scratch..."
Hubby: *cheeky smirk* "So that you could kill more plants quicker?"
True story. That my friends, was the man-quote of yesterday.

Comments

Unknown said…
Love it love it! As per usual!
Mrs Winderley said…
Thanks my friend! I didn't realise that you read my little blog... YAY! *big grin*

Popular posts from this blog

The Monday morsel...

Sometimes I simply can't resist a little bite-sized blog post. Every now and then one of my fabulous, gorgeous, ever-so-talented friends does something that is blog-worthy. Today two of the many dynamic women I know – an old friend  from highschool and my sister-in-law – posted stuff that is simply too delicious not to share. Picking up a food theme by my choice of words? Well, there's a good reason for that. Wanna know more? Check out  this website  and look at this blog  because every domestic goddess can do with a little help when it comes to keeping the pantry cupboard  dinner party-friendly. Deciding whether to click on the links or not? There's a lot more where these came from if you do...

Heartbreak comes in

all shapes and size s. Sometimes it's in the form of a spotty 13-year old boy not asking you to slowdance at your first school disco, sometimes it's losing that grandparent who made you feel like the most precious thing since Barbie found Ken, and sometimes, heartbreak comes in the form of a nine-month old, 4-kilogram pavement special puppy called Ellie. This time last week I experienced a new brand of heartbreak, the kind I had never experienced before and would rather not (although it's probably inevitable that I will) experience again. Last Monday, Ellie 'Bean' Winderley – my friend, my companion and my Vitamin Water bottle-chewing, cheese-addicted shadow – set off on an adventure that was to be her last in my world. The details are not important... many tears have been shed wondering 'why?' and wishing that life had a rewind button. What is important is that out of even the crappiest situations there are opportunities to learn... I know I sound a little

True story

Context: My 18-year-old cousin has just moved in with hubby and I for a couple of months while she finds her feet in Jozi. Just had this exchange with her via Blackberry Messenger... Me: Hey cuz. You home for dinner tonight? Cuz: Going for coffee with [insert potential bf name here] at six so I'll grab a bite to eat while I'm out. But thanks for checking beauty queen [smiley face] Me: Flattery will get you everywhere. Have fun. Cuz: What's flaterry ? (yip, spelt just like that) Me: Please tell me you're kidding?! Cuz: No I'm serious Me: [once I've picked my jaw off the floor in disbelief] To flatter someone is to compliment, say something nice. Flattery is usually used as a tool by someone to get summing. And that's the end of today's English lesson. Cuz: Thanks [smiley face] ha ha [ another smiley face] no one in the office knew what it meant either  Note to the education system – just an idea, but maybe you should let the kids read actual, made of