Skip to main content

I can't believe I'm typing this...

I never thought that I'd ever (ever, ever) be the kinda person who actually worried about the exchange rate or made a point of catching the tail-end of the news just to see what the gold price is doing.

Artists are not supposed to be concerned by such business-y type stuff... When someone says 'so and so's stock dropped by two points' I'm meant to just smile and nod, making every effort to disguise the blank look covering my face from forehead to chin. In the past I was far more likely to be concerned if the price of wine by the glass hopped up a rand or two than if a US$ cost me three cents more than it did last week.

Alas! The times they are a changing and as a result of my recent foray into the world of diamond solitaires and platinum wedding bands I am being forced to dip my toe in the waters of 'money makes the world go round and a cent or two here and there can make it turn a little slower'...

Every morning (in between my cup of green tea and bowl of fibre) I make a point of knowing the price of platinum and the price of gold per gram as well as the US$ to ZAR (South African Rand) exchange rate (yawn) sorry, even typing about it bores me. I may as well have typed blah, blah, blah-dee-dee, blah-blah.

It's SO not my cup of tea but I am willing to learn all of the tools of my new trade and must therefore succumb to calculators and fancy financial terms. I'm actually quite proud that I've mastered the RAP x price per carat X 1.6 X 0.6875 Plus VAT (14%) formula. Impressive huh??? My high school maths teacher would be so proud.

Anyways, the point of this post (I know, I know, it doesn't seem like I'm going anywhere with this) is this...


Word to the wise: If you are in the market for a diamond keep your eye on the US$... 24 hours can mean the difference between a bargain and an extended period of broke-ness. 


Those shiny, sparkly little lumps of carbon that you see women around the world prancing around with on their ears, necks and fingers are deceptive little rocks. Never mind the minefield that is cut, colour and clarity (a difficult enough set of rules to grasp on its own) the smart buyer knows that once you've chosen the rock it's time to sit, wait, be patient and – most of all – be ready to pounce the moment that exchange rate dips.

This is one area where impulse buying is advised and (weirdly) may save you a hard earned buck or two that you can plough into a hard earned glass of wine or two to steady your nerves after blowing a year's salary on a glorified rock.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Monday morsel...

Sometimes I simply can't resist a little bite-sized blog post. Every now and then one of my fabulous, gorgeous, ever-so-talented friends does something that is blog-worthy. Today two of the many dynamic women I know – an old friend  from highschool and my sister-in-law – posted stuff that is simply too delicious not to share. Picking up a food theme by my choice of words? Well, there's a good reason for that. Wanna know more? Check out  this website  and look at this blog  because every domestic goddess can do with a little help when it comes to keeping the pantry cupboard  dinner party-friendly. Deciding whether to click on the links or not? There's a lot more where these came from if you do...

Heartbreak comes in

all shapes and size s. Sometimes it's in the form of a spotty 13-year old boy not asking you to slowdance at your first school disco, sometimes it's losing that grandparent who made you feel like the most precious thing since Barbie found Ken, and sometimes, heartbreak comes in the form of a nine-month old, 4-kilogram pavement special puppy called Ellie. This time last week I experienced a new brand of heartbreak, the kind I had never experienced before and would rather not (although it's probably inevitable that I will) experience again. Last Monday, Ellie 'Bean' Winderley – my friend, my companion and my Vitamin Water bottle-chewing, cheese-addicted shadow – set off on an adventure that was to be her last in my world. The details are not important... many tears have been shed wondering 'why?' and wishing that life had a rewind button. What is important is that out of even the crappiest situations there are opportunities to learn... I know I sound a little

True story

Context: My 18-year-old cousin has just moved in with hubby and I for a couple of months while she finds her feet in Jozi. Just had this exchange with her via Blackberry Messenger... Me: Hey cuz. You home for dinner tonight? Cuz: Going for coffee with [insert potential bf name here] at six so I'll grab a bite to eat while I'm out. But thanks for checking beauty queen [smiley face] Me: Flattery will get you everywhere. Have fun. Cuz: What's flaterry ? (yip, spelt just like that) Me: Please tell me you're kidding?! Cuz: No I'm serious Me: [once I've picked my jaw off the floor in disbelief] To flatter someone is to compliment, say something nice. Flattery is usually used as a tool by someone to get summing. And that's the end of today's English lesson. Cuz: Thanks [smiley face] ha ha [ another smiley face] no one in the office knew what it meant either  Note to the education system – just an idea, but maybe you should let the kids read actual, made of