Skip to main content

Remind me again why I gave up coffee?

It's been about 11 months since I gave up coffee. You see, I quit smoking on my wedding day and in order to really try to make the quitting stick I knew that my morning cup of coffee would have to go. Since I was 18 years old I had been starting my day with a cup of caffeine and a stick of nicotine. They go together like Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, like Strawberries and fresh cream, like sea sand and sunshine...

Okay, you get the point.

Anyway, two weeks (and several withdrawal headaches) after I quit the cancer sticks and my morning cup of jet fuel, the strangest thing happened – I started to really (like really, really) enjoy a cup of herbal tea and found that I soon swapped my standard issue two teaspoons of sugar for a drop of honey. I was surprised at how easily I'd kicked coffee to the curb and, dare I say it, I was kinda proud of myself.

The thing I didn't realise was that it's pretty easy to forego caffeine when your life as an artist lets you wake up at 8am everyday and eat breakfast in a bubble bath. I was living a lie. I was like an alcoholic that had stopped drinking but was living in a mineral water glazed bubble in a land where no one had ever heard of wine – I hadn't, metaphorically speaking, been into a pub and tested my resolve.

Until today.

I had to be up and out of bed by (gasp!) 6:45am so that I could get showered and fed and out of my front door in time to make a friend's 12-week ultrasound scan by 8:15am. As I stood in the shower, shivering from the early morning chill in the air (which I haven't felt it in months – due to my bath time usually being at 9-ish) all I wanted to do was climb back into bed and hit the snooze button LOTS.

As I poured the hot water into my adorable little chinese tea pot and prepared my daily dose of green tea I was oddly drawn to the cannister labelled coffee on my kitchen counter. It's part of one of those 'tea, coffee, sugar' sets you buy at home stores and has been empty for as long as I've been a married woman.

I realised that I hadn't craved coffee in forever and suddenly I wanted it. I wanted it real bad. I wanted it dark and strong and with fluffy foamed milk and perhaps a shot of hazelnut... 

But I digress...

The point of this seemingly pointless tale is that I managed to resist. I managed to get to the gallery a little earlier than expected and strolled into Mugg & Bean for a takeaway 'latte' – a Rooibos (herbal for you non-Africans) latte. No caffeine. But all the foamy goodness.

I had succeeded, I had been tested and I had won...

Then I sat down to type this, got about half way through my tale and then: "Here's a cup of coffee, you look like you need it," said my colleague, setting a great big piping hot mug of caffeine-y goodness on my desk. As the rich, aromatic steam made it way up my nostrils I caved... took a tentative sip and had to ask myself...

"Why did I give up coffee, again?"

Comments

A Daily Pinch said…
I totally understand why you gave up coffee if you were quitting smoking. It was easier for me to quit smoking 10 years ago--I found out I was pregnant. Coffee? Well, the smell made me sick, so I had no choice.

Now, if you will excuse me, I need another cuppa.

Popular posts from this blog

The Monday morsel...

Sometimes I simply can't resist a little bite-sized blog post. Every now and then one of my fabulous, gorgeous, ever-so-talented friends does something that is blog-worthy. Today two of the many dynamic women I know – an old friend  from highschool and my sister-in-law – posted stuff that is simply too delicious not to share. Picking up a food theme by my choice of words? Well, there's a good reason for that. Wanna know more? Check out  this website  and look at this blog  because every domestic goddess can do with a little help when it comes to keeping the pantry cupboard  dinner party-friendly. Deciding whether to click on the links or not? There's a lot more where these came from if you do...

Heartbreak comes in

all shapes and size s. Sometimes it's in the form of a spotty 13-year old boy not asking you to slowdance at your first school disco, sometimes it's losing that grandparent who made you feel like the most precious thing since Barbie found Ken, and sometimes, heartbreak comes in the form of a nine-month old, 4-kilogram pavement special puppy called Ellie. This time last week I experienced a new brand of heartbreak, the kind I had never experienced before and would rather not (although it's probably inevitable that I will) experience again. Last Monday, Ellie 'Bean' Winderley – my friend, my companion and my Vitamin Water bottle-chewing, cheese-addicted shadow – set off on an adventure that was to be her last in my world. The details are not important... many tears have been shed wondering 'why?' and wishing that life had a rewind button. What is important is that out of even the crappiest situations there are opportunities to learn... I know I sound a little

True story

Context: My 18-year-old cousin has just moved in with hubby and I for a couple of months while she finds her feet in Jozi. Just had this exchange with her via Blackberry Messenger... Me: Hey cuz. You home for dinner tonight? Cuz: Going for coffee with [insert potential bf name here] at six so I'll grab a bite to eat while I'm out. But thanks for checking beauty queen [smiley face] Me: Flattery will get you everywhere. Have fun. Cuz: What's flaterry ? (yip, spelt just like that) Me: Please tell me you're kidding?! Cuz: No I'm serious Me: [once I've picked my jaw off the floor in disbelief] To flatter someone is to compliment, say something nice. Flattery is usually used as a tool by someone to get summing. And that's the end of today's English lesson. Cuz: Thanks [smiley face] ha ha [ another smiley face] no one in the office knew what it meant either  Note to the education system – just an idea, but maybe you should let the kids read actual, made of