Skip to main content

Day Four: Seven wants

1. A Pedicure
Top of the list, however frivolous/shallow/superficial, with Spring right around the corner is a pedicure. Yes, a combination of personal training torture and winter boot wearing has left my feet in desperate need of some TLC. The last time these toes saw a fresh coat of paint was March. I do feel a tad sorry for the poor soul that needs to tackle these hobbit-eque feet but luckily the lovely Carol at the Chilli Lane branch of Perfect 10 has agreed to take on this challenge.

2. An Admin Fairy
Don't get me wrong, I love my job. Yes, I'm on of those annoying people who says things like "if you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life." Building a business. Love it. Freelancing 9 to 5 'cos my team has everything under control at my little agency. Love it. Getting to work the term 'awesome-balls' into a radio script. Love it. The only thing I don't love is admin that goes with running a business, which is why I would like an admin fairy. Not an admin person on payroll... an admin fairy, kind of like a fairy godmother, without the pumpkin stuff.

3. A new car that's not a mommy wagon
This is one of those 'brat' wants. I don't need a car. I have a perfectly good, paid off Toyota RunX that I inherited from hubby when we got married. I got an upgrade from my Fiat Palio and he upgraded to a Mercedes. We are in talks about a new set of wheels (by 'new' I mean secondhand, low mileage, previously owned by a pensioner who only used it on Saturday to go to bridge tournaments and back) BUT if cars were shoes, hubby's angling for a pair of Hunter wellies and I'm angling for a a pair of patent Salvatore Ferragamo pumps. 

4. An excuse to go to New York
Any excuse will do. If you are a friend or a family member, please consider getting married there, having your 50th birthday party there or hosting a baby shower there. If you have extra cash lying around, how 'bout buying an apartment overlooking Central Park that I will selflessly housesit for you over the summer. If you are a colleague, client or own a creative agency, please create TV ads that need to be shot in NYC. I will happily 'take one for the team' and scout locations for you. I want to get to New York, I want to take in a Broadway play, I want to drink overpriced coffee in coffee shops with names like 'Serendipity', I want to hail a cab driven by an Albanian with an Irish accent and I want to wake up in the city, that according to Frank, never sleeps.

5. To write a book
Yes, it's a cliché. If I had a pair of Laboutins for every time an Art Director's said to me, "I hope you aren't one of those copywriters who are going to abandon me to go write the next Eat, Pray, Love..." I'm not a fan of the aforementioned book (got bored halfway through India) but I want to write a book. If only to tick it off my 'to do' list. If only to know that I do indeed have the discipline and work ethic to see something through from foreword to 'The End'.

6. To wake up on 11 October 2058 and look at hubby the same way I did on 12 October 2008.
Achieving this will mean that we've navigated half a decade as Mr & Mrs without forgetting what we said 'I do' in the first place. I want him to look at me the same way, too.

7. I want to tell my sister that she's not a good mom, she's a great mom...
that Sophie Grace is so incredibly blessed to have her as a mother. I want to tell her that even though I'm the big sister, I look up to her. I admire her bravery and aspire to her uncompromising love of the Lord. Oh, and I really want Sophie to start sleeping through, so that Foxy Roxy can get the elusive 8 hours of sleep she so richly deserves.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Monday morsel...

Sometimes I simply can't resist a little bite-sized blog post. Every now and then one of my fabulous, gorgeous, ever-so-talented friends does something that is blog-worthy. Today two of the many dynamic women I know – an old friend  from highschool and my sister-in-law – posted stuff that is simply too delicious not to share. Picking up a food theme by my choice of words? Well, there's a good reason for that. Wanna know more? Check out  this website  and look at this blog  because every domestic goddess can do with a little help when it comes to keeping the pantry cupboard  dinner party-friendly. Deciding whether to click on the links or not? There's a lot more where these came from if you do...

Heartbreak comes in

all shapes and size s. Sometimes it's in the form of a spotty 13-year old boy not asking you to slowdance at your first school disco, sometimes it's losing that grandparent who made you feel like the most precious thing since Barbie found Ken, and sometimes, heartbreak comes in the form of a nine-month old, 4-kilogram pavement special puppy called Ellie. This time last week I experienced a new brand of heartbreak, the kind I had never experienced before and would rather not (although it's probably inevitable that I will) experience again. Last Monday, Ellie 'Bean' Winderley – my friend, my companion and my Vitamin Water bottle-chewing, cheese-addicted shadow – set off on an adventure that was to be her last in my world. The details are not important... many tears have been shed wondering 'why?' and wishing that life had a rewind button. What is important is that out of even the crappiest situations there are opportunities to learn... I know I sound a little

True story

Context: My 18-year-old cousin has just moved in with hubby and I for a couple of months while she finds her feet in Jozi. Just had this exchange with her via Blackberry Messenger... Me: Hey cuz. You home for dinner tonight? Cuz: Going for coffee with [insert potential bf name here] at six so I'll grab a bite to eat while I'm out. But thanks for checking beauty queen [smiley face] Me: Flattery will get you everywhere. Have fun. Cuz: What's flaterry ? (yip, spelt just like that) Me: Please tell me you're kidding?! Cuz: No I'm serious Me: [once I've picked my jaw off the floor in disbelief] To flatter someone is to compliment, say something nice. Flattery is usually used as a tool by someone to get summing. And that's the end of today's English lesson. Cuz: Thanks [smiley face] ha ha [ another smiley face] no one in the office knew what it meant either  Note to the education system – just an idea, but maybe you should let the kids read actual, made of