Skip to main content

Day One: Ten Secrets

So, some friends in the blogosphere have taken to their blogs – Scribbles by Lelani and Girl from Mars – to take part in this 10-day challenge thing that's making the rounds. Seeing as I've been neglecting this blog over the past couple of months I think a 10-day challenge is just what I need to get my blogging mojo back. So here it goes... 

Day One: Ten Secrets

1. I had an imaginary friend growing up. Yes, really, her name was Susan and she was very real to me. My mom had to make her exactly what I was eating and drinking every meal time. When my sister was born, my mom asked me why Susan hadn't come to visit in a while. I answered, "Susan moved away."

2. I can't watch reality TV show auditions without crying. So You Think You Can Dance, American Idols, X-Factor, SA Idols, Masterchef. If there's someone with a dream, getting a stab at it... best there be a box of Kleenex close by.

3. I will never name anything a name that starts with a hard consonant... D, B, K, G, T and especially Dub-Dub-Double You. That goes for children, pets, cars, potplants and even favourite handbags. Having to ask where the D-D-Dispirin is at Clicks is traumatic enough.

4. I wish I'd had the guts to audition for the role of Sandy in my primary school production of Grease. And, I wish I'd gotten the first name of my Standard 2 (grade 4) teacher, Mrs MacNair, so that I could find her on Facebook and let her know that to this day she's the school teacher that made the biggest impact.

5. I am seriously directionally challenged. I would literally be lost without my Garmin. I don't know my North from my South, my East from my West and I will not be able to direct you to places that I frequent often, which is why I have a husband and will always hand the phone to him when friends ask "how do I get to you from my place?"

6. I have next-to-zero co-ordination. Water skiing, snow skiing, ice skating, rollerblading and never-ever-would-I-ever wake boarding are a recipe for disaster, tears, tantrums and as last February's ski trip to Austria proved... whiplash! That's why I like theme parks and roller coasters – no co-ord required. 

7. I have a phobia of baked beans. Not an 'I'd rather not' or an 'I don't like them' thing. A proper phobia. The sight of them make me queazy, the smell of them makes me faint and if they get served up alongside my bacon and eggs I will send the plate back. In fact, hearing R Kelly's 'I believe I can fly' causes a similar reaction.

8. I'm a nerd. I don't walk on the grass if there's a sign telling me not to. I pull over in roadblocks and ask if I have any fines outstanding. I made it through 4 years of art school in London without ever smoking a joint, getting a weird piercing or a tattoo. I can't go to bed until the kitchen's spotless and the scatter cushions on the couch are perfectly puffed up and arranged.

9. I have done some pretty stupid things in an attempt to resemble a stick insect. I envy women who can order and eat pasta without guilt. 

10.  I am a born again Christian. Not a secret to my family and friends but possibly not all that obvious to acquaintances and colleagues. I didn't live with my husband before we got married, I didn't sleep with my husband before we got married. Oh, and I don't celebrate Halloween or use oh-em-jee. Ever.

Comments

Ingrid Ashwin said…
you go gal - we are very lucky to have such a wise one as one of our peeps!
Ingrid Ashwin said…
Ben and Jerry's Cookie Dough Ice Cream - mentioned twice - please get this lovely lady some help - she needs a spoonful badly.

Popular posts from this blog

The Monday morsel...

Sometimes I simply can't resist a little bite-sized blog post. Every now and then one of my fabulous, gorgeous, ever-so-talented friends does something that is blog-worthy. Today two of the many dynamic women I know – an old friend  from highschool and my sister-in-law – posted stuff that is simply too delicious not to share. Picking up a food theme by my choice of words? Well, there's a good reason for that. Wanna know more? Check out  this website  and look at this blog  because every domestic goddess can do with a little help when it comes to keeping the pantry cupboard  dinner party-friendly. Deciding whether to click on the links or not? There's a lot more where these came from if you do...

Heartbreak comes in

all shapes and size s. Sometimes it's in the form of a spotty 13-year old boy not asking you to slowdance at your first school disco, sometimes it's losing that grandparent who made you feel like the most precious thing since Barbie found Ken, and sometimes, heartbreak comes in the form of a nine-month old, 4-kilogram pavement special puppy called Ellie. This time last week I experienced a new brand of heartbreak, the kind I had never experienced before and would rather not (although it's probably inevitable that I will) experience again. Last Monday, Ellie 'Bean' Winderley – my friend, my companion and my Vitamin Water bottle-chewing, cheese-addicted shadow – set off on an adventure that was to be her last in my world. The details are not important... many tears have been shed wondering 'why?' and wishing that life had a rewind button. What is important is that out of even the crappiest situations there are opportunities to learn... I know I sound a little

True story

Context: My 18-year-old cousin has just moved in with hubby and I for a couple of months while she finds her feet in Jozi. Just had this exchange with her via Blackberry Messenger... Me: Hey cuz. You home for dinner tonight? Cuz: Going for coffee with [insert potential bf name here] at six so I'll grab a bite to eat while I'm out. But thanks for checking beauty queen [smiley face] Me: Flattery will get you everywhere. Have fun. Cuz: What's flaterry ? (yip, spelt just like that) Me: Please tell me you're kidding?! Cuz: No I'm serious Me: [once I've picked my jaw off the floor in disbelief] To flatter someone is to compliment, say something nice. Flattery is usually used as a tool by someone to get summing. And that's the end of today's English lesson. Cuz: Thanks [smiley face] ha ha [ another smiley face] no one in the office knew what it meant either  Note to the education system – just an idea, but maybe you should let the kids read actual, made of