Skip to main content

Day Two: Nine Loves

Right, as a pretty good summary of my loves is summed up on this blog in my short n sweet bio (God, hubby, wine, nachos etc.) I'm going to pretend they're No.10 and get to the other nine...

1. Glossy fashion magazines 
Love 'em. Love the looks for less, the break the budget wish lists, the not-so-natural 'get the natural look' tips, the photoshopped unattainability of the cover stars, the (you know you won't but read it anyway) 'get a bikini body in 7-days' summer staple and the fact that I do really (really, really) buy my favorites (Elle and Marie Claire) for the articles. I love that I'm a bit of a fashion victim, I love that I look at brogues in October, swear to never-ever own a pair and then live in the pair I bought from Topshop all December long.

2. Ben & Jerry's Cookie Dough ice cream
I love that even the mention of the name, or the spotting of the branding in a delicatessen, takes me right back to 2004/2005. To pulling double waitressing shifts and treating myself to one great big spoonful with a milk and amarula night cap at midnight, to picnics on the carpet with girlfriends, box wine and Sex and the city re-runs.

3. Reality TV
All of it. Every mind-numbing, coma-inducing, brain cell diminishing minute of it. Whether it's housewives or hairdressers or wannabe pop stars, chefs or fashion designers. Whether it's celebrities in jungles/on islands/in Trump's boardroom or an insecure teenage chess team captain trying to be a cheerleader. Love it. All of it.

4. My Dogs
Sadie and Lucy. Both pavement specials, both named after Beatles songs, both given a 5-star VIP pass to the sweet life after less glamorous beginnings in the street life. Both given as much love and attention as hubby and I can because we remember how our hearts broke the day we lost our first pavement special, the legendary Ellie 'bean' Winderley.

5. My family
The one I was born into, the one I married into and the one that befriended me. I am loved, a blessing that I am grateful for every birthday, every bring n braai, every wine o' clock, every time I have sense of humor failure or need advice, to borrow an outfit for a wedding, gardening guidance, dinner party de-drama'ing or a reminder that I'm burning the candle at both ends or an honest bit of feedback that sends this season's harem pants to the charity shop.

6. Being called a 'Chop!'
Strange, but true. About two years into married life, hubby took to calling me a 'chop'. After about the 98th time I asked him a) why? and b) please to stop. He replied, "You obviously don't know what chop means." "Obviously not," I replied. "Well," he said matter of factly, "it means 'I love you' in Alaskan." It doesn't, really. But it does in our house.

7. My Fair Lady
Audrey Hepburn, the Ascot Opening Day choreography, "Why can't a woman be more like a man?" "In Hertford, Hereford and Hampshire hurricanes hardly happen..." "Cup, cup, cup, cup, of, of, of, of.... by George she's got it!" What's not to love?

8. Beautifully crafted things
Handbags, shoes, impressionist paintings, shoes, drawings, shoes, red velvet cupcakes, renaissance sculpture, sub-titled foreign films, vintage blazers, antique furniture, chunky knitted cardigans, old-school quilts, oh, and did I mention shoes?

9. My country
The people, the culture, the contradictions on every street corner, the now nows and the just nows, the yeah no yes no fines, the boerewors rolls, the gees, the first world ambition and the third world authenticity, the sunshine, the short winters, the mountain that looks like a table, the panoramic cityscape views from Randlords, the Shark Tank, the Silver Orange, the fact that Topshop's coming to town, the fact that whenever I travel I climb off of the plane at OR Thambo and utter the cliché, "There's no place like home."






Comments

Bel said…
Oh my gosh, I miss Ben & Jerry's! Phish Food is my all-time favourite ice cream flavour ever!!
Ingrid Ashwin said…
Let's try again
What is not to love aboout Marshamallows and Merlot.
I guess it is just getting past the robot police who are convinced I am onw. Attempt number two to type in the two words to prove I am human... there will probably be a few more to come and none of you will know. Perhaps I am a robot?
Attempt number 7... here goes
and number 9...persistence is my signature strength
number 14 attempt to prove I am not a robot

Popular posts from this blog

The Monday morsel...

Sometimes I simply can't resist a little bite-sized blog post. Every now and then one of my fabulous, gorgeous, ever-so-talented friends does something that is blog-worthy. Today two of the many dynamic women I know – an old friend  from highschool and my sister-in-law – posted stuff that is simply too delicious not to share. Picking up a food theme by my choice of words? Well, there's a good reason for that. Wanna know more? Check out  this website  and look at this blog  because every domestic goddess can do with a little help when it comes to keeping the pantry cupboard  dinner party-friendly. Deciding whether to click on the links or not? There's a lot more where these came from if you do...

Heartbreak comes in

all shapes and size s. Sometimes it's in the form of a spotty 13-year old boy not asking you to slowdance at your first school disco, sometimes it's losing that grandparent who made you feel like the most precious thing since Barbie found Ken, and sometimes, heartbreak comes in the form of a nine-month old, 4-kilogram pavement special puppy called Ellie. This time last week I experienced a new brand of heartbreak, the kind I had never experienced before and would rather not (although it's probably inevitable that I will) experience again. Last Monday, Ellie 'Bean' Winderley – my friend, my companion and my Vitamin Water bottle-chewing, cheese-addicted shadow – set off on an adventure that was to be her last in my world. The details are not important... many tears have been shed wondering 'why?' and wishing that life had a rewind button. What is important is that out of even the crappiest situations there are opportunities to learn... I know I sound a little

True story

Context: My 18-year-old cousin has just moved in with hubby and I for a couple of months while she finds her feet in Jozi. Just had this exchange with her via Blackberry Messenger... Me: Hey cuz. You home for dinner tonight? Cuz: Going for coffee with [insert potential bf name here] at six so I'll grab a bite to eat while I'm out. But thanks for checking beauty queen [smiley face] Me: Flattery will get you everywhere. Have fun. Cuz: What's flaterry ? (yip, spelt just like that) Me: Please tell me you're kidding?! Cuz: No I'm serious Me: [once I've picked my jaw off the floor in disbelief] To flatter someone is to compliment, say something nice. Flattery is usually used as a tool by someone to get summing. And that's the end of today's English lesson. Cuz: Thanks [smiley face] ha ha [ another smiley face] no one in the office knew what it meant either  Note to the education system – just an idea, but maybe you should let the kids read actual, made of