Skip to main content

Up to my elbows in paint...

If you try to give me a call on my mobile phone, and I don’t answer you are met with the following voicemail message “I’m unable to take your call right now because I’m probably up to my elbows in paint...” This morning that voicemail message couldn’t have been more true.


At 8am this morning I found myself painting flowers, mushrooms and butterflies on the walls of a nursery school in the township of Alexandra. Myself and a handful of other volunteers from my bible study group were making good on a commitment we made to a community project.


Honestly, yesterday I was not looking forward to painting the walls of the school. I didn’t know how I was going to manage it with everything else I had on my plate this weekend. I was pretty grumpy when I got up at 6am this morning and wasn’t convinced that I’d be able to get the job done, get home in time to shower and change, so that I could make a midday work appointment. How silly I was to have let being busy steal the joy away from taking part in making a difference (however small) to a community in need...


By the time 10:30am rolled around the last thing I wanted to do was drive my paint-covered, sweaty, hobo-chic self back home to get dolled up to sell a wealthy Sandtonite a glorified rock for a ridiculous amount of money. The truth is that I had so much fun this morning and had a permanent grin plastered on my face the entire time.


From the minute the first paintbrush came out and the first tin of paint was popped open I had a team of eager young faces huddled around me asking if they too could paint. That team grew by the minute as more and more children heard via the grapevine what was going on and came to offer their services. I became more like a mother hen overseeing the project than the labourer I’d come prepared to be! 


It was truly heartwarming to see how much excitement a bit of paint and the outline of a mushroom sketched on a wall can cause. Everyone wanted to paint, nobody wanted to be left out. Each child concentrated on their blade of grass/ butterfly/flower/piece of blank wall with intense attention to detail – much like a team of scientists trying to split a strand of DNA. No task was too menial, no instruction too difficult... I was reminded of why I had decided to become an artist in the first place...


Being creative was fun! Getting covered from head to toe in all the colours of the rainbow was part and parcel of the journey from blank surface to colourful expression, and getting the chance to do something that was purely about beautifying was as good as any exercise-induced endorphin rush.


This morning humbled me. It gave me a much needed reality check and reaffirmed what I’ve been told my entire life – ‘giving is far more fulfilling than receiving’. Sometimes, when you live in a privileged Northern Suburbs bubble you need to be reminded of just how blessed you are, how much the Lord has given you, and as a result, how much He expects from you. 

Comments

Lorynne McGurk said…
Amazing..I used to do a lot of work in the townships. I so miss the enthusiasm of the people; their culture, their grace and their warm hospitality. Too few 'priviledged' South Africans ever allow themselves to be emersed in the township, crippled by the limitations of their own discriminations. I look forward to hearing more about your expeditions into Alex!xxx Lorynne

Popular posts from this blog

The Monday morsel...

Sometimes I simply can't resist a little bite-sized blog post. Every now and then one of my fabulous, gorgeous, ever-so-talented friends does something that is blog-worthy. Today two of the many dynamic women I know – an old friend  from highschool and my sister-in-law – posted stuff that is simply too delicious not to share. Picking up a food theme by my choice of words? Well, there's a good reason for that. Wanna know more? Check out  this website  and look at this blog  because every domestic goddess can do with a little help when it comes to keeping the pantry cupboard  dinner party-friendly. Deciding whether to click on the links or not? There's a lot more where these came from if you do...

Heartbreak comes in

all shapes and size s. Sometimes it's in the form of a spotty 13-year old boy not asking you to slowdance at your first school disco, sometimes it's losing that grandparent who made you feel like the most precious thing since Barbie found Ken, and sometimes, heartbreak comes in the form of a nine-month old, 4-kilogram pavement special puppy called Ellie. This time last week I experienced a new brand of heartbreak, the kind I had never experienced before and would rather not (although it's probably inevitable that I will) experience again. Last Monday, Ellie 'Bean' Winderley – my friend, my companion and my Vitamin Water bottle-chewing, cheese-addicted shadow – set off on an adventure that was to be her last in my world. The details are not important... many tears have been shed wondering 'why?' and wishing that life had a rewind button. What is important is that out of even the crappiest situations there are opportunities to learn... I know I sound a little

True story

Context: My 18-year-old cousin has just moved in with hubby and I for a couple of months while she finds her feet in Jozi. Just had this exchange with her via Blackberry Messenger... Me: Hey cuz. You home for dinner tonight? Cuz: Going for coffee with [insert potential bf name here] at six so I'll grab a bite to eat while I'm out. But thanks for checking beauty queen [smiley face] Me: Flattery will get you everywhere. Have fun. Cuz: What's flaterry ? (yip, spelt just like that) Me: Please tell me you're kidding?! Cuz: No I'm serious Me: [once I've picked my jaw off the floor in disbelief] To flatter someone is to compliment, say something nice. Flattery is usually used as a tool by someone to get summing. And that's the end of today's English lesson. Cuz: Thanks [smiley face] ha ha [ another smiley face] no one in the office knew what it meant either  Note to the education system – just an idea, but maybe you should let the kids read actual, made of