Skip to main content

Brunette vs. Blonde (the grey area)

In my family going prematurely grey is genetic. My great grandmother was grey at 28 as was my mom... and so, it's not surprising that I am half grey at the age of 26. Yip, for the past year or so I have been waging a war on the grey highlights that insist on permeating my naturally brunette locks. I've never been a high maintenance Sandton girl. Sure, I like high heels and am the first to climb on many a trendy bandwagon (even the 80s leggings and neon trend that's invading the Northern suburbs at present), but I've never been one for weekly nail appointments and I've never been for a facial. I've never really had the urge (or, truthfully the budget) to look polished and 100% put together every day of the week... 

Which is why having to go to my super-fabulous hairdresser every six weeks to cover the grey has been an expensive (and time consuming) thorn in my side ever since my wedding day over a year ago. Where am I going with this dull, dye-job monologue you may ask? Well, I took a brave step a few days ago... I summoned up all of the courage I could and teetered over to Carlton Hair last Thursday afternoon to make peace with the fact that my days as a full-blown brunette were coming to an end. It was time to throw a few blonde highlights into the mix to act as camouflage for the ever increasing grey ones.

So I sat down in the chair, had a heart to heart with my stylist and gave him the green light to cover my head in foils and slap on half a head of blonde highlights and caramel lowlights. As I sat under the dryer thingee listening to the timer 'tick, tick' down from 30 minutes, I grew increasingly anxious... by the time it came to rinse I was so nervous that I refused to look in a mirror and not even my stylist's 'ooh-ing' and 'aah-ing' and 'It looks fabulous, daaahling' could stop the thud, thud of my heart galloping in my chest cavity. What had I just done?!?

Obviously I was in good hands and it was a choice that I had made, but it felt like a massive step – brunette to blonde in just under an hour – and there was no going back (at least not until I could afford to have it reversed) *gulp*

Anyways, as Carlton's best towel-dried my locks and started to blow dry each section a wave of calm washed over me. It actually looked pretty good... the girl staring back at me in the mirror was a little unfamiliar, but as the minutes ticked by she looked more and more like me – only blonder, A LOT blonder. I liked it but was a little dubious about how my hubby would react. This is the man after all who took two weeks to adjust to my fringe...

I thought it best to give the poor man fair warning so I snapped a quick pic (a bit blurry, but he'd get the general idea) with my Blackberry and sent it along the airwaves to him. The five minutes it took to get a response was pretty nerve-wracking... but eventually I heard the 'you've got mail' beep, beep and his response was this: "You look HOT. Best you hurry over before my wife gets home."

Perhaps, blondes do have more fun after all?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Monday morsel...

Sometimes I simply can't resist a little bite-sized blog post. Every now and then one of my fabulous, gorgeous, ever-so-talented friends does something that is blog-worthy. Today two of the many dynamic women I know – an old friend  from highschool and my sister-in-law – posted stuff that is simply too delicious not to share. Picking up a food theme by my choice of words? Well, there's a good reason for that. Wanna know more? Check out  this website  and look at this blog  because every domestic goddess can do with a little help when it comes to keeping the pantry cupboard  dinner party-friendly. Deciding whether to click on the links or not? There's a lot more where these came from if you do...

Heartbreak comes in

all shapes and size s. Sometimes it's in the form of a spotty 13-year old boy not asking you to slowdance at your first school disco, sometimes it's losing that grandparent who made you feel like the most precious thing since Barbie found Ken, and sometimes, heartbreak comes in the form of a nine-month old, 4-kilogram pavement special puppy called Ellie. This time last week I experienced a new brand of heartbreak, the kind I had never experienced before and would rather not (although it's probably inevitable that I will) experience again. Last Monday, Ellie 'Bean' Winderley – my friend, my companion and my Vitamin Water bottle-chewing, cheese-addicted shadow – set off on an adventure that was to be her last in my world. The details are not important... many tears have been shed wondering 'why?' and wishing that life had a rewind button. What is important is that out of even the crappiest situations there are opportunities to learn... I know I sound a little

True story

Context: My 18-year-old cousin has just moved in with hubby and I for a couple of months while she finds her feet in Jozi. Just had this exchange with her via Blackberry Messenger... Me: Hey cuz. You home for dinner tonight? Cuz: Going for coffee with [insert potential bf name here] at six so I'll grab a bite to eat while I'm out. But thanks for checking beauty queen [smiley face] Me: Flattery will get you everywhere. Have fun. Cuz: What's flaterry ? (yip, spelt just like that) Me: Please tell me you're kidding?! Cuz: No I'm serious Me: [once I've picked my jaw off the floor in disbelief] To flatter someone is to compliment, say something nice. Flattery is usually used as a tool by someone to get summing. And that's the end of today's English lesson. Cuz: Thanks [smiley face] ha ha [ another smiley face] no one in the office knew what it meant either  Note to the education system – just an idea, but maybe you should let the kids read actual, made of